Monday 15 April 2013

I think i jumped the gun last week...

I’ve got it stuck in my head that I don’t want to be that guy who attends a class, and then simply transfers the notes from class to my blog. Aside from being boring as hell, I figure it doesn’t really demonstrate an understanding of the in-class discussions. So what I have tried to do each week is to pick one topic and let my brain vomit Times New Roman style onto the unsuspecting online world (I can see I’ve had 64 hits so far, I’m destined for blogger stardom).

The problem with this approach is that I might head off on a tangent and accidentally cover something that hasn’t yet been covered in class. This week, that problem has occurred- the topic of society's changing television viewing habits.

It’s no big deal though, because that means I can talk about Girls (the HBO series that is. There’s got to be a million other blogs where you can hear about fellas whining about girls).
Girls
 Before seeing it I was given the description of “Sex and the City for mid-20’s hipsters.” And after seeing it, that description seems pretty spot on. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it though- and the question of why we enjoyed it was something we kept coming back to all afternoon.

The most obvious answer is that it is relatable. But to paraphrase Mark, can you really relate to a group of people with such disgusting personalities? How can you see yourself in such a selfish contrived bitch?

(The joy I find here is that I can lump all of the female lead characters under that label. And Charlie. That boy needs to grow a pair.)

A rare exception to the un-likable characters. Adam is pretty damn weird though.
 
Maybe the addictiveness of the show is that the problems that the characters find themselves in are relatable? That’s probably the most plausible answer. No money, uncertainty, and awkward sex- I think most people can get behind that.
Because when you can create a piece of fiction that seems to fall not too far short of a truth that you have lived (or are living), a close relationship can be formed with the characters, whether you like them or hate them, because they are mirroring either you or your friends when you were (or are) in that situation.

That sounds legit right? I’m going to say yes. If there is a film or television series where you can say “I’ve lived this”, of course it’s going to spark an interest. Because to be perfectly honest, there is no such thing as a person who isn’t self-obsessed in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment